Sunday 17 August 2008

A bit of home baking

While Jo was staying with us I made her a chocolate and biscuit slice, and she couldn't get enough of it. It is absolutely delicious, and the kids love it too! Of course they like to help and then of course lick the bowl afterwards. I used to love doing that when I was little! Because I think the slice is so nice I thought I would post the recipe as it is so very easy to make, and no cooking in the oven makes it even easier!


Hedgehog Slice


250g plain biscuits broken into small pieces

1/2 cup desiccated coconut

1/2 cup Castor sugar

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1/4 cup cocoa powder

100 g dark chocolate chopped (I used Hershey's choc drops)

100g butter

1 tbsp golden syrup

1 egg lightly beaten


Icing

2 cups Icing (powdered) sugar. Sifted

1/4 cup cocoa powder. Sifted

large knob of soft butter

Boiling water


1. Lightly grease an 18 x 28cm slice pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.

2. In a large bowl combine biscuits, coconut, sugar, nuts and cocoa

3. In a small saucepan stir chocolate, butter and syrup over a low heat until melted. Cool slightly and add egg. Sir wet mixture into dry ingredients.

4. Press mixture firmly into prepared tin using the back of a spoon. Place in fridge.

5. Icing- Mix all ingredients together and add enough boiling water (do this gradually) until you have a spreadable icing. Spread on slice, place back in fridge and chill until firm. Slice and enjoy.

6. This slice is kept in the fridge.


Now I don't have any photo's of what this looks like, but please take my word for this it is very moreish! But I do have one of the girls enoying licking the bowl!!


2 comments:

Jenna said...

A knob of butter,?that sounds so cute!:) What is light syrup? I will try to make this if I can figure out how to convert everything. Did you ever try the playdough cookies?

Lizzie said...

Hi Jenna - Let me convert for you!!!! 100g = 3.5 ounces. 250g = 8.8 ounces. A knob of butter is as big or little as you want, I like butter so I use maybe 1/4 of a stick (I think that is what you might say), I had to google that!! Also I googled golden syrup and apparently it is hard to find in North America, something very similar is treacle or molasses, but these are a little darker. There is a brand over there called Lyles Golden syrup if you can find it, I think it is very British as it was invented by a Scotsman! I haven't made the cookies as I keep forgetting to buy cream cheese, I am off to the supermarket tomorrow so I will buy some then and then make some with the kids! Only trouble is I end up eating everything I bake, no will power what soever.