Monday 2 March 2009

The Best Gingerbread Ever..........

Sticky Moist Gingerbread


1 ½ cups plain flour

½ cup self raising flour

1tsp bicarbonate of soda

2tsp ground ginger (I used 3!)

1/2tsp each of cinnamon and mixed spice

Pinch of salt

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 cup milk

125gms butter

1 cup golden syrup


  1. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl
  2. Add sugar
  3. Melt butter and golden syrup
  4. Mix together milk and eggs
  5. Add the butter mixture and milk and eggs to the dry ingredients.
  6. Mix well (I used a whisk )
  7. Pour into a large greased lined loaf tin
  8. Bake for 50 – 55 mins on 180c or until springy


Make sure your tin is well greased, and line with one piece of long paper that comes up over the long sides.

To those of you who like baking and Gingerbread loaf, well all I can say is try this, it is devine, especially with a smear of butter, and a nice cup of tea!!!

4 comments:

Jenna said...

YUM!!!!How does one convert grams of butter??

Jenna said...

Im going to google golden syrup! Maybe we hae something similar

Jenna said...

I can do 2 parts light corn syrup, 1 part molassus-this is the USA substitute, ill look at the grocery tommorow, they have an "english" section!HA!

Radar's Mom said...

Cool! I was just thinking the other day about how I hadn't had gingerbread in a long time. And since I also didn't know what golden syrup was, Jenna has solved that little mystery for me and I can plunge forward! Thanks for the recipe... I'll let you know how it turns out.