Wednesday 11 June 2008

Paddy and her stumpy.

Phewww, I am so glad that the cast is off and we got to see her leg. I said to John on the way to the hospital I was almost as nervous as just before the operation. He gave me one of those side ways looks that said are you bonkers?, no just very nervous!
Getting the cast off wasn't a problem, it just tickled her, then it was into the plaster room to have a look at her little leg. I have to say Paddy was so good, she just looked at it then she must of thought about things because her eyes filled with tears. To me it wasn't any worse or any better than I thought it would be, it still looks very 'raw', which is the only way to describe it really. Paddy wasn't too happy about the stitches coming out, they gave her some happy gas, which I used when I was in labour, and I thought it didn't do too much. We got through that then it was off to the Limb Centre where they showed us how to bandage her little stumpy (her new name for her little foot)
I don't know why but I thought the Limb centre would do the bandaging for us, but we have to do it. Oh my god the pressure is on, we can't do it too loose otherwise we don't get a nice shaped stump, too tight well I think it cuts the circulation off, arhggg, I tried not to panic, honest.
So we have to do that 3 - 4 times a day until the swelling goes down, hopefully this won't take too long, I will keep you posted.
It must feel so nice not to have that cast on, and she can finally stretch her leg out, bliss, I could not imagine having your leg bent for two weeks, it would have driven me up the wall. Emma and Georgie took it really well seeing her leg for the first time, I was looking at Emma giving her daggers as I could see she wasn't going to be constructive. I think I even managed to bandage her leg up again ok, we will see if it is still on in the morning!
I tell ya what a day, and I also have to mention it is John's and my 10th wedding anniversary today, 12 years since we met. Who would of thought when John walked into my Mum and Dad's pub we would be still together 12 years on with three beautiful girls, and that he doesn't think our family is crazy any more! (Only joking, he joins in our arguments now rather than slinking off into another room!)

2 comments:

Rich said...

We think your stump is great Paddy!
Love Auntie Lisa and Uncle Jonny

Jenna said...

what a brave girl!