Thursday 1 May 2008

Poppy Tony

Emma, Paddy and Georgie's Poppy, (my Dad), had to go to hospital again this week. He has an auto immune disease called Wegener's Granulomatosis.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/wegeners/faq.html

Basically his body is attacking itself, and there is a lot of side effects. Also my Dad being my Dad (or could it be men in general?) he doesn't tend to go to the doctor till he is on deaths door. He had a really bad nose bleed that lasted 24 hours and consequently his haemoglobin dropped to dangerous levels and he needed a blood transfusion. This is the second time in eight weeks this has happened, last time he also got really bad angina attacks because not enough oxygen was getting to his heart.

Anyway after 24 hours in hospital he was well enough to come home, but I have to say he looked knackered. There was an old man in his room with emphysema, I have never heard a cough like it in my life, any one who smokes should go and visit someone with this awful disease, it will put you off for life!!

On a happy note, I am just glad my Dad is feeling better, and out of hospital!

No comments: