Tuesday 22 July 2008

For Paddy




Today (please don't be freaked out by this), we picked up Paddy's foot from the hospital (don't worry it was vacuum packed and in a brown paper bag so we couldn't see it) and we buried it with a Camellia tree (named Cinnamon Cindy).


John and I talked about this a lot before the surgery, should we or shouldn't we do this. I personally couldn't bear the thought of Paddy's foot being cremated with all the hospital rubbish so we thought it would be a nice thing to bring it home and bury it in the garden. I know this is not every one's cup of tea, my Dad was horrified that we were even contemplating the idea (much to the amusement of my friend Lisa!) However to us it is closure (without sounding too new age like) and it just felt right! So Paddy's little foot is now safely in our garden with a Camellia tree on top. The reason we choose a Camellia is that they flower in winter in N.Z and we will always have a nice reminder on the anniversary of the operation!


3 comments:

Jenna said...

Very cool! I felt a little strange aboput asking to keep the foot, but i asked. In our state(not sure if its the us or just our state) It is considered bio-hazardous material so you cant keep it. You cant even keep a tooth that has been extracted! So Logans little leg is in the trash, I did however have them use the skin to graph his fingers(had 2 hand surgeries)
I LOVE the tree and the idea.

Lizzie said...

In NZ because of the Maori People (they are indigenous to NZ), they believe everything has to be buried with you or parts of you have to be buried in sacred ground, something to do with the ancient gods. Anyway everyone in NZ gets asked if they want to keep their body parts and have to sign a consent form either way. Every mother gets asked if they want to keep there placenta at the birth of their babies (we didn't). NZ is a very politically correct country!
Good on you for asking!!

Niki said...

I wanted to keep Madeleine's foot too and I also asked. Good for NZ for recognizing this!
I love that that sweet little perfect foot is under a beautiful tree.

Oh, and I have a friend who has her twin boys' placentas in her freezer!