Friday 4 July 2008

Paddy's magic leg!

Today was the day we went to the Limb Centre and Paddy had her leg fitted to make sure everything was ok before they finished it off. They told us before we went not to expect too much as it wasn't the finished product, but I have to say I thought it was gorgeous! It was really dainty and cute!
First off we were in the children's fitting room and Paddy wasn't too happy she didn't want to participate at all, John and I were literally holding our breath as when Paddy decides she doesn't want to do something well that is it. Some how between John and Jason (the prosthetic limb fitter, not sure of the technical term for him), they got the leg on Paddy, and I have to say she didn't like it one single bit. Jason made a few adjustments and it seemed to make all the difference in the world, YAH HOO!
So after a slow start and a lot of encouraging Paddy took her first steps with the help of a little walker and she was a STAR. We were so proud of her, I mean to say I cannot imagine what it must feel like to walk with this prosthetic on your leg. Paddy whispered to John half way through she wished she had her real leg back, jeez what do you say to that, we try and explained that it was either that or have a terrible limp the rest of her life but I guess it is black and white to them, before the operation she got around just fine as far as she was concerned and now she has this cumbersome thing on the end of stumpy. I know it will take time and before she knows it she won't even be bothered by it.
It was so wonderful to see her standing straight, on two legs the same length, in fact it was kind of odd? We are just so used to her being our hippity hoppity girl, and I can't quite get my head around it.
The next few days they are going to finish the leg off, put the fabulous fabric on and then we will be home with her new magic leg!



Paddy getting her leg fitted

2 comments:

Niki said...

Oh, I know this journey!!! Madeleine HATED her new leg. She cried everytime she saw it and when I put it next to her she would push it away. Now she loves her leggie. What a little trooper that Paddy is. She will do just fine.

Can't wait to see it finished.
Niki

Jenna said...

What a little rock star!!!! Logan hated his leg for weeks but now is un stoppable at everything he does, and I have to brag that he does things better than a lot of 2 year olds with 2 fully formed legs!! I cant wait for the next update and to see the sparkly leg.